Friday, January 5, 2007

The James Brown Tribute


I got so hung-up on List-O-Rama that I never got to do a tribute to The Hardest Working Man In Showbiz, who coincidentally stars in what is probably my favorite YouTube clip ever as well as what is surely among the handsomest mugshots ever.

His most obvious accomplishments are acquiring more nicknames than Mike Tyson and inventing different bizarre ways to make noises from the mouth, many of which can be heard on his 1974 album The Payback, which was his last solid record. Normally his 50's and 60's output is his most acclaimed material, but I'm gonna come forward right now and say The Payback is probably his best record, live or otherwise. If you haven't heard Live At The Apollo (normally his most recommended album), at least make sure you download the track "Think," which is the best song off that record. His 1968 single "(Say It Loud) I'm Black And Proud" almost makes me wish I was black HAHA. White guilt can be so fun sometimes..


No comments: